|Not normally where we’d choose to pitch our tent, but it was raining. Outside Canala, New Caledonia.|
New Caledonia’s primary island, Grand Terre, is the second biggest island in the South Pacific (not counting New Zealand), 220 miles long, 40 miles wide, and mountainous. We just returned from a 5-day blitz of the island. We mostly camped, hiked, took oodles of awesome vistas, and unplugged the whole time. Lots more to come… both about the road trip and the cruising stops made prior.
- Our September 2016 sail from Vanuatu to New Caledonia was 305 miles.
- Our August 2016 sail from Fiji to Vanuatu was 525 miles.
- We cruised just under 440 miles in Fiji, between late May and early August.
- Our May 2016 sail from New Zealand to Fiji was 1090 miles.
- December 2015 – May 2016 if we weren’t cruising New Zealand or hunkering, we were making massive road trips from New Zealand’s tip to its tail.
- From December 2014 – November 2015 we sailed from Northern Florida’s Atlantic side to New Zealand, over 10,000 miles, with more than a few stops in between.
- December 2013 – May 2014 we sailed 1792 miles from Jacksonville Florida to the Bahamas. and back.
- March 2012 we bought Journey in St. Lucia. September 2012 we moved aboard, did some boat work, then sailed her to Jacksonville Florida by June 2013, 3762 miles.