Now is not the time for us to leap. We’re taking in the view and sitting tight until the place and time are right. Photo by Karol Stefański on Unsplash
Back when I used to work in corporate America (Hewlett-Packard), I remember when our group was a person short and we were driving our manager crazy about it.
“Why do you keep asking me about where I’m at on the hiring process?” she asked, perplexed and exasperated. She tended to keep her plans close to the vest. “I’m still trying to figure out what skills I’m trying to bring to our team.”
We explained even knowing that helped. That having some idea of whether we were covering for a week, a month, or much longer made a difference on how we went about it. We took away it would be a while so we needed to own the cover, not just band-aid it. Five months later, our manager made a great hire.
In a sense, when it comes to this blog, I am a bit like that manager from my days of yore. When it comes to selling a boat, I too play it close to the vest. But at some point, radio silence needs to be broken.
Selling our sailboat isn’t this dramatic but we’re still feeling stuck between two worlds. Photo by Michael Shannon on Unsplash
We’re still in limbo.
We got an appealing offer a few weeks ago, sight unseen. The buyer was so interested in closing quickly, he was willing to accept our recent survey (from a very reputable surveyor—yay Ceal!) and even the haulout.
We were excited but nervous.
Excited because . . .
Oooh. Ahhh. The excitement of an attractive offer on our sailboat! Photo by Jordan Ling on Unsplash
Getting an offer with few contingencies meant we could move on with our life. We envisioned taking that summer trip up the east coast by car or camper since we weren’t doing it by boat.
We didn’t want to be more than a day or so away from the boat, in case we needed to be on tap to answer questions and potentially captain a sea trial. We’re reluctant to make any offers on a place to live until our boat sells.
Nervous because . . .
Yes, I definitely bit my nails to the quick waiting to hear back after our sailboat showing. Photo by Sammy Williams on Unsplash.
What buyer is willing to make a sight-unseen offer with so few contingencies—even in a tight boat market? Though we’ve heard boat inventories are still about a third of what is considered normal and we don’t see much comparable to our boat on the market.
Yet despite photos and a walk-through video, there’s nothing like the real thing. He came, he stepped aboard, he didn’t like the layout and reneged his offer—the boat-seller equivalent of a mail-order bride whose groom decides she’s not his type and bows out before the wedding but after the invitations were drawn up and ready to pop in the mail. No sea trial necessary; just . . . no.
We felt . . . jilted. You know . . . Love me. Love my sailboat. Love me not. Then again, we were jilted by someone we didn’t know and who didn’t know us. Weird. Photo by Scott Webb on Unsplash
We were bummed.
A few days ago tropical storm-hurricane-tropical storm Elsa passed by. We understand this is not the time of year Florida is the top where-to-visit pick, even for boat buyers. After all, we tried to buy remotely before we realized we needed to go to Florida and spend some time looking, after seeing what else was out there online, across the country. But we also know that across the country, there’s not much else out there as nice as our boat in its category. We’re willing to wait for the right buyer, even if it means living in limbo longer, and not spending the time we’d hoped to spend exploring the eastern seaboard this summer.
Interest is picking up on our boat. It’s just a matter of time. We got kinda spoiled on our previous boat sales, which took only a few weeks from when we posted them for sale.
We’ve still got as much time as it takes to sell our sailboat—within reason. It will take finding the right buyer to take her on the adventure she deserves. Photo by Jordan Benton from Pexels
For those of you (still) hanging in there, wondering what the heck we’re up to—thank you!